"After the abortion I started drinking," writes Rachel, who was pressured to abort by her boyfriend when she was 17. "All through college, I drank, experimented with drugs, and ran from the pain. I was severely bulimic. About ten years later I sought counseling for my eating disorders... I was on the verge of suicide. It was at that time that I realized that the root of my problem was the abortion."*
If you have had an abortion you are not alone.
Some symptoms of post abortion trauma include:
- feeling of intense grief or depression
- anxiety attacks
- recurrent and intrusive thoughts about the abortion
- flashbacks to the abortion experience
- withdrawal or estrangement from others
- difficulty concentrating
- drug or alcohol abuse
- suicidal thoughts or acts; and other self destructive tendencies
- efforts to avoid activities, situations or people which remind them of the pregnancy or abortion
- inability to maintain loving or trusting relationships
- a sense of hopelessness or futility about the future
"At first I denied it and repressed it and tried to escape from it," writes Laura. "It was the family secret. I dove heavily into drugs and sex, and was constantly having pregnancy tests for fear that I was pregnant."*
Do you suffer in silence? Would you like to talk with someone who understands?
You are not alone... Call us today at 603-536-2111.
*PAS Post Abortion Syndrome - Are you at risk? by David Reardon Ph.D pub. 1999. Dist. by Heritage House
The information on this page is intended for general educational purposes and is not intended to be relied upon for professional medical advice.
We do not perform abortions or refer for abortion services.